March 27 - 1998 - Version 2.2
Added even more settings :
- 2D Map : Allows you to view the map in a xy-plane where all z-values are set to zero, very useful when printing, or trying to get a good overview.
- View Z-Axis : Displays the z-coordinate below the star. Very useful in 2D-mode, but also available for the 3D map.
- Label All : When text is turned on, every star gets a text with its name. Text size should be reduced to about 4 to avoid cluttering.
- Black and White : A setting for converting all the beautiful colors into black and white. Very handy when printing on a black and white printer, as light colors sometimes appear faded when printing. Textures are not affected.
March 25-27 - 1998
- Added graphical printing functions. Now possible to print systems or starmaps using a higher graphical quality than usually used on the screen.
- Added a 'High Quality Graphics' setting for those who have super-powered computers, or for those who would like to take a snapshot of the screen. With this setting on, surfaces are drawn much smoother and all processing power is directed towards graphical perfection and not speed.
- Added the 'Random Planet' (which was lost during uppgrade to version 2.0). It was re-implemented due to popular demand. Now you dont even have to decide what type of planet you want, just double-click on 'Random Planet' and the computer will select one for you.
- Fixed the max temperature for gas-giants, so instead of core temperatures a more moderate value is used.
- Fixed a bug that slowed down the program when running animations even when not viewing a system. The starmap and overview-mode is no longer affected by the animation setting.
February 26-27 - 1998
- Added printer functions for printing starmap data. Now possible to print data of entire starmap, selected system or just one planet.
February 22 - 1998
- Text size above stars and routes is now scaleable.
- Added a new setting for displaying text, so that text above stars and text above routes can be turned on/off independent of each other.
Februar 21 - 1998
- Changed the mass calculation for randomly generated planets. Values will not vary so much, and generally be lower than before.
- Orbital radius of moons now have an maximum outer orbit of 0.125 AU.
- Fixed bug with neutron stars, black holes and no sun. Companion stars can now have these types and they are now displayed also when entering system view.
**END OF VERSION 2.2 - released 29 March -1998**
January 2 - 1998
- Finished the Starmap Generator. Define the size of the universe in x,y,z coordinates, as well as number of stars to be generated, and voila, a new corner of the universe is available to exploration. Also population density can be regulated.
- Did some last additions to the help file.
January 1 - 1998
- Happy new year.
Desember 30 - 1997
- Done a few additions to the help file.
- Finished the NEW random planet generator for barren, gas giants, inferno, forest, arctic, desert, ocean and earthlike worlds. See help file to find out just how this new random planet generator works.
November 21 - 1997
- Finished creating the route editor. This new function is located in the guide. A new button, route editor. Pressing this takes you to an editor that allows you to edit, remove or add routes. A route is a line drawn between two systems. A route can be yellow, red, green or cyan, and can have a name. The name is displayed over the route if text is turned on. To add a new route you have to select two systems in the guide before entering the route editor. See help file for more info.
November 15 - 1997
- Added dirty document feature. This means that if you have edited,removed or added anything to a starmap the program will warn you if you do something that will undo those changes. Like load, exit or new starmap. On the other hand, if you save your map the program will know that and you wont be bugged about saving changes when you have already done it.
November 13 - 1997
- Added a Hertzprung-Russel Diagram to the help file.
- Added a Random Civilization button to the civilization form. Clicking the button creates a random civilization. Tech/Science level is based on the intelligence of the race. Travel Speed is again based on the Tech/Science level.
A super intelligent race might for example, have an industrial tech level or an interstellar tech level. But a race with an interstellar tech level will always have an above average intelligence. And so on. See help file for details.
November 10 - 1997
- Added 4 new hot-keys. Q and W rotates around the y-axis, to the left and right respectivly at intervals of 45 degrees. E and D rotates around the x-axis in the same way.
- Added a few links in the help file, and included the new hot-keys.
October 6 - 1997
- Corrected the atmosphere and temperature os some of the planet templates. Example : Neptune was given the correct amount of methane in the atmosphere, and the hydrogen/helium balance was adjusted. The moon and earth were given correct minimal and maximum temperature values, etc.
- Added a new blue texture and color for those gas-giants who have more than 1% methane in the atmosphere. Like Uranus and Neptune.
- Added a new texture for desert worlds instead of using the texture for barren worlds.
October 2 - 1997 - Version 2.1
- Added a special function to allow you to draw gas giants at a percentage of their real size. This percentage is saved to disk and remembered the next time you start the program. This makes otherwise huge gas giants viewable in a solar system.
- Fixed bug crashing the program every time the add system, add random system or add outstation menu was exited by pressing cancel.
- A small bug causing planets to jump around a bit when selected if the centric view system was turned on is now fixed.
- A small decimal error in the define view box also fixed.
- Updated help system to include info on the gas giant percentage function (see above).
September 12 - 1997
- Despite all the changes and improvements I am not satisfied. In this new version 2.01 I have changed a bit on the fit-in-view function, to handle gigantic starmaps.
- Also I have added the "Define View" function in the menu below the "fit in view" option. Works just like fit in view, but allows you to set the maximum and minimum coordinates.
- Updated the help file to include the define view function.
September 11 - 1997
- Moved many functions (like move left, zoom in, etc.) from "View" to the "Action" menu. Now the "View-menu" only holds values that are static (i.e. values that only change when you toggle them).
- Added a new item to the "Action Menu", called "Fit Into View". This function attempts to place the view point so that all stars are visible. Selecting "Fit Into View" deselects any selected star if you are in "Centric View Mode".
- Improved the Grid. The grid now expands and shrinks with the coordinates of the stars. In other word; the grid is placed based on the larges and smallest coordinates of the stars.
- Also added the Large Grid Squares setting. With this setting turned on any grid drawn will have much larger squares. This makes it easier to see stars on a large map.
- Improved the time glass when loading.
- Modified, updated and added some pictures to the help file.
- Unfortunantly planets and moon are not sorted once they have been edited. (i.e. if you change the name of Earth to Varth, you will still find Varth before Mars). The planets will however be sorted the next time you load the map. Also everything is sorted correctly when you edit the entire system (i.e. Add, Edit and Remove planets from the system editor).
- With all the changes my program has gone through, I now declare it Version 2.0 :)
September 9 - 1997
- Gave the program a face-lift. Changed some bitmaps and icons. Added some minor features.
- Added a new menu-item; "Action" : The four first items allow you to enter systems, leave them, enter orbits and leave orbits (the same thing you can do with the mouse by double clicking).
September 8 -1997
- Improved the sorting routines. No sorting is now done once the star map is loaded (except some sorting at the creation and editing of new systems). Instead a map is sorted upon loading and later saved as a sorted map. All planets and stars are stored alphabetically.
- RESULT : The result of this improvement is that the times for loading the guide and search box are reduced drastically. These routines are now something like 20-25 times faster. The time for loading a starmap is slightly higher. If you are loading an unsorted (old or converted) starmap be prepared for a short wait. Sorted maps load almost as fast as before (All files saved with this version of my program are saved sorted).
September 3- 1997
- Added a new feature. Now any selected star has its name displayed in large 3D letters above the star. The feature can be turned on and off in the view menu as other settings can be.
- Also fixed the search and guide functions to work with the centric view system. Also improved them a bit.
September 1- 1997
- Fixed some minor errors in the help file, and updated it for Ver 1.3.
- Added what I call the Centric View System. Placed it under Settings in the View Menu. If you turn on the feature, the selected star will become the centre of view. All rotations of the star map will be around that star. Turning off the feature returns (0,0,0) as the centre.
August 9 - 1997
- Not an upgrade, but I've written a complete file description in word. The file is included in the zip file and the download of the upgraded stars.exe file.
August 9 - 1997
- Improved the load and save functions. Systems saved no longer save giant constructs if they are not used. This reduces the size of one empty system from 1513 bytes to 196 bytes. It also makes it much easier to convert other star maps to the "str" format.
- This new version of It's Full of Stars is compatible with older star maps and will in fact improve them by reducing the storage space needed to save them. New maps created with this version is not compatible with the old version of the program.
June 18 - 1997
- Did some adjusting to the overview. When selecting overview you are not placed so far away. The result is larger planets in the overview mode than before. I halved the previous distance from 64 AU to 32 AU.
- Also I fixed it so that selecting overview in the starmap mode still keeps (0,0,0) in the middle of the view.
June 12 - 1997
Added some hot-keys.
O : Switches between normal and overview.
R : Toggles the rings on and off.
T : Toggles textures on and off.
G : Toggles the grid on and off.
June 11 - 1997
- Added timeglass when loading, as suggested by Tom Bont, this makes it somewhat easier to see when the machine is working.
- Creating a new system no longer turns of the animation setting.
- Fixed small bug with the astroid setting.
TIPS! If you get lost use fit-in-view or press space to select default view, also experiment with different settings in the menu.
Really BIG tip, read the help file, it really helps :)