~ Last Updated January 22, 2001 ~
- EnviroNews -Envirolink and Lycos join forces for daily updates.
- EDF News Releases -Current and archived news from The Environmental Defense Fund, dating back to '92.
- Marcus' Place -Although it hasn't been updated since last summer, you will still find a lot of great news for animal rights, vegetarian, and environmental issues.
- PETA's News Releases -Campaign actions, investigations and other developments.
The question is not, can they reason?,
nor, can they talk?,
but can they suffer?
- 10 Reasons to Scrap the Medical School's Dog Lab -from PCRM
- 101 Reasons to Become a Vegetarian -by Pamela Teisler-Rice
- 20 Good Reasons Not to Support the Pet Trade
- Animal Rights and Animal Welfare: Five Frequently Asked Questions -by Gary L. Francione
- Bill of Rights for Animals -by Charles Magel (revised)
- Companies that Test on Animals (updated 4/98) -from P.E.T.A.
- Companies that Don't Test on Animals (updated 4/98) -from P.E.T.A.
- The Comparative Anatomy of Eating -(by Milton R. Mills, M.D.) Biologically we are herbivores. Humans are not built to eat meat! This is really convincing for me.
- A Comprehensive List of Ingredients Derived from Animals -From Personal Care with Principle, Spring 1992
- Free Vegetarian Recipes -About 60 recipes in alphabetical order
- The Facts About Animal Experimentation -From PCRM
- How to be a Vegetarian in 10 Easy Steps -A pamphlet from Second Nature vegetarian restaurant
- How to Win an Argument
with a Meat Eater -(published by Himalayan Academy) Reasons to go veggie. This covers all bases- environmental to ethical, religious to health.
- The Impact of a Vegetarian Diet on your World -(from Sarah's Page for the Animals) Lots of great statistics
- Is it Time to Chuck Meat? -(by John Fauber) "Compelling evidence supports vegetarianism as a hedge against cancer and heart disease"
- Performing Animals -(by RSPCA) About circus animals
- The PETA Guide to Letter Writing -Easy, effective ways to help animals by writing letters to newspapers, businesses, and legislators.
- Poor Calf/Poor Cow -(Ben Leamy) The life of dairy cows
- Pound Seizure Frequently Asked Questions -By Humane Society of the United States
- Vegetarian Phrases in World Languages -So you want to tell everyone around the world that you're a veggie head? Here are English
veggie phrases translated to 40+ different languages. (From the International Vegetarian Union. For 9 other languages to translate from besides English, visit their site, listed below.)
- Vegetarianism: Answers to the most commonly asked Questions -From N.A.V.S.
- Vegetarian Factsheets -This links to a page within PETA that has 10 great vegetarian/vegan "articles"...including relevant info about protein, vegan children, dairy products, healthy hearts, foie gras, and factory farming.
- Vegetarianism Frequently Asked Questions -(by Michael Traub) Tons of information including definitions, frequently asked questions, sources, recommended literature, and more.
- What you should know about Circuses and Animals -Adapted from a leaflet by the EarthKind Society
Our task must be to free ourselves...
by widening our circle of compassion
to embrace all living creatures and
the whole of nature and its beauty.
- All for Animals -Browse the Santa Barbara animal lover's directory or the adoptable pets photo gallery, read about animal testing alternatives or the news, or sign up to receive a weekly inspirational quote (about animals) and monthly info on cruelty-free living via e-mail.
- American Anti-Vivisection Society -Works to end the use of animals in biomedical research, dissection, testing and education. Learn more about animal experiments, rights, research, and welfare. You can also mail for a free cruelty-free shopping guide!
- A.S.P.C.A. -(American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty of Animals) description to come...
- AnimaLife -Stories, articles, poetry and more from college students around the world.
- Animal Alliance of Canada -An animal rights advocacy and education group with detailed information concerning these and other topics: The Bear Alliance, Cosmetic/Product Testing, Food Animals, and Puppy Mills/Pet Overpopulation. There are factsheets, links, and a newsletter. Since 1993 they have held 'Animal Magnetism', a yearly musical benefit and celebrity auction!
- Animal Alliance Youth! -(from Animal Alliance of Canada) With separate sections for teens and kids, this site is the best I have seen for the young animal rights advocate. Nicely laid-out and covers a broad range of topics without overloading. I especially like the 4 animal pages you can print out and color!
- Animal Rights Resource Site -Huge site including news, reference, essays, pictures, quotes, and so much more!
- Animal's Agenda -Incredible but hard to find bimonthly magazine informing about animal rights and cruelty-free living for the purpose of inspiring action for animals.
- A.V.A.R. -(Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights) The only veterinary medical association actively promoting rights for nonhuman animals.
- The Body Shop -Skin and hair care company dedicated to animal protection, human rights, and the environment.
- The Boston Vegetarian Society -DON'T CLICK- site no longer exists. I will look around to see if it moved elsewhere.
- CSETA -(Cornell Students for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) One of the most active campus animal rights groups in the country.
- CureBlue -Non-profit organization formed by students in Canada who mission is to spread info for a healthier, cruelty free lifestyle.
- A Different Drummer Guide -New York based resource guide. Has boycotts, events, and groups.
- The Dog Hause -Info on spay and neutering...also free graphics and fonts, quotes & proverbs, idioms, fun facts, rules of thumb, and more.
- Don't have a cow -- eat VEGETARIAN! -Fantastic statistics, a variety of articles and factsheets, pictures, news and more.
- Doris Day Animal League -Activities, publications, legislation, action letters, and more.
- Earthbase -Environmental and animal welfare news stories and photographs.
- Earth to Kids -This small site from EDF appeals to the natural creativity in kids. They can view other kids' work or
submit their own in these categories: Poetry, Alpha-Bestiary (drawings of real or imagined animals from A-Z), and the Annual Wildlife Art Contest (for ages 1-18!). They can also play Kokoto, or read a tutorial on surfing the web.
- EcoMall -More than just cruelty free shopping...household tips and formulas, articles, forums, info about ecology, energy, recycling, etc.
- EnviroLink -It's bigger than it looks...buisnesses, huge forum, art, library...so much is here!
- EDF -(Environmental Defense Fund WorldWide) This non-profit organization has been creating campains and projects to protect our earth for 31 years! Publications include news, articles, factsheets, a Nature
Journal, and more. Topics galore: endangered species, greenhouse gas emissions and global warming, coral reefs, hog farms, recycling, and rainforests. Want to be an activist, but don't know where to start? Join the Member Action Network (free) and do your part to help our planet!
- F.A.R. -(Feminists for Animal Rights) National educational organization dedicated to ending all forms of abuse against women and animals.
- F.A.R.M. -(Farm Animals Reform Movement) Campaigns for the rights of farmed animals, promotes wholesome plant-based eating, and encourages environmental consciousness. Also conduct five national programs, including the Great American Meatout (see link below).
- Farm Sanctuary -U.S. based organization which operates farm animal sanctuaries and campaigns to stop the exploitation of animals for food. You can volunteer or intern, and there are also sections for shelter & adoptions, and resources & merchandise. Since 1986, they have held the annual Adopt-A-Turkey Project to allow families across the country to adopt, rather than eat, a turkey for Thanksgiving.
- Freeman -Full line of products for skin, hair, face, and especially feet! Check out Larry's Tips. (Freeman can be found in most grocery chains.)
- Friends of Animals -International, non-profit membership organization working to protect animals from cruelty and abuse.
- The Fund for Animals -Legal action, public education, animal rescue, etc.
- Go Organic Online -Learn, discuss, buy. Clothing lines are cotton and hemp...they even have shirts with Koko's artwork!
- The Gorilla Foundation -Protecting & preserving these magestic creatures. Their primary focus is Project Koko, teaching two gorillas Sign Language. Other projects include developing a gorilla preserve on the island of Maui, Hawaii. The site also has news and events, a gift shop, a newsletter, and GORILLA ART!
- The Great American Meatout -(Conducted by F.A.R.M.) "kick the meat habit, at least for a day, and explore a more wholesome, less violent diet." March 20th will be the 15th annual observance of the Great American Meatout, the "world's largest and most colorful grassroots diet education campaign." On their site, you can learn how to raise awareness in your community, even hold your own meatout. Good statistics here, and also read about the success of last year's events. Before leaving don't forget to check out the resources section to order handouts, posters, t-shirts, books, video tapes, or slides and photographs.
- Heart For Animals -Here you will find sections (including links) on such things as buying cruelty free, going vegetarian, wildlife, housepets, news, quotes, and more. Check out the page on candy and gum you should avoid, and my favorite here, Ways to Conserve Resources and Help the Environment!
- hemp seed dot com -Hemp info, hemp companies and hemp products. You can even get an e-mail address! (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Hemp Times -A fairly new bimonthly magazine, devoted to eco-style. Fashions, accessories, body products, housewares, paper, food and other products.
- Humane Society of the United States -USA's largest animal-protection organization.
- Hunt Saboteurs Association -Only organization that works directly in the field to protect wildlife from the huntsmen.
- I.D.E.A. -(In the Defense of Earth and Animals) This grassroots animal welfare and environmental organization works in the Cobbleskill, New York area to raise awareness through community outreach, demonstrations, and the like. Every semester these student from the State University of New York hold a punk rock benefit to raise money for the local animal shelter. Not much info on the site, but the benefits sound like a lot of fun!
- International Vegetarian Union -This global organization has been around since 1908, promoting knowledge of vegetarianism in many languages.
- The Internet Consumer Recycling Guide -USA and Canada recycling. Both comprehensive and simple guides, USA prices, centers, reducing unwanted mail, and my favorite- recycling facts (statistics, etc).
- Kiss my Face -Fantastic company for cruelty free lotions, soap, etc.
- Learn2 Cut Down on Toxic Household Cleaners -Here's a twelve step program that we can all use. Create a safer home, a cleaner environment, and save money, too! All the steps to replacing your old cleaners, suggestions for homemade cleaners, and storing toxic chemicals.
- The Low Fat Vegetarian Archive -2,541 recipes, info on healthy low fat vegetarian diets, nutrient database.
- McSPOTLIGHT -Volumes of Anti-McDonalds information. This is war.
- Message!Products Home Page -Recycled bottle gear, tree-free products, hemp stuff, and checks! A portion of every order placed goes directly to the non-profit you choose.
- Natural Land -Organic info, recipes, articles, news, discussions, polls, and online stores.
- NewVeg -Vegsounds!, vegmates (personal ads), vegwear, books, and tons of info!
- Orbyss -Brings together vegetarian, animal rights, and environmental organizations and businesses. Also includes some national events and action alerts.
- P.A.V.E. -(People for the Abolition of Vivisection Experiments) The only anti-vivisection organization in the state of Nevada. (A warning: there are two graphic pics of animals who have been experimented on.)
- PAWS -(The Progressive Animal Welfare Society) A great site for animal advocacy. Many campaigns for wildlife, performing and companion animals, things you can do, lots of news, companion animal adoption and care, upcoming events in Washington state, etc.
- PCRM -(Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine) Good site for factsheets on animal experimentation, also some nutrition.
- P.E.T.A. -(People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) The largest (and best!) animal rights organization in the world. "Animals are not ours to eat, wear, experiment on, or use for entertainment".
- Planet Hemp -Located in Soho, New York. Tons of hemp products to purchase online.
- Project Vote Smart- Animal Issues -Providing abundant, relevant information on government, politicians, and the issues. This links to a page where you can research animal issues, and after that, go to their home page and see where the politicians stand.
- P S Y E T A -(Psychologists for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) Organization comprised of psychologists working in cooperation with other professional and animal rights organizations to change the way individuals and society as a whole treat non-human animals.
- Rutgers Animal Rights Law Center -Great data on laws affecting animals.
- San Francisco Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals -Only city currently that guarantees that no adoptable dog or cat will be euthanized.
- sarah's page for the animals -A personal page...letters to send, poems, anti-fur, etc.
- Satya -A magazine of vegetarianism, environmentalism, and animal advocacy.
- Scorecard.org -(From the EDF) The 411 on pollution and toxic chemicals. Combines 150 different databases and uses 30 different kinds of ratings to put the pollution facts into perspective. Use the Pollution Locator in Setting Priorities, and you can see the ranking of the most important environmental problems in your community and read reports about it.
- Seventh Generation -"Products for a Healthy Planet". The best in the biz! What they sell: Paper products; cleaning and laundry products; natural formula baby wipes; plastic trash bags (100% recycled); feminine hygiene products; and full spectrum lightbulbs. Where you can find it: Trader Joe's, Fred Meyer's, Star Market, and health food stores. When you buy these products, look on the packaging for "YOU ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE"- great consumer education. On the site you will find FAQs on Chlorine, Petroleum & Household Cleaners, Understanding the Chemicals in Common Household Cleaners, and the Guide to a
Toxic-Free Home. Also info on their Right to Know Campaign and School Fund Raising Program, Learning to Make a Difference.
- Teen Vegetarian -An e-zine by and for veggie teens. Articles, huge list of penpals, reviews, etc.
- Toms of Maine -The best toothpaste! (ADA Accepted)
- Toronto Vegetarian Association -Toronto events and activities, and articles from their newsletter, Lifelines.
- Vegan Action -Vegan resources.
- Vegan Outreach -...more vegan resources.
- The Veg*an Pages -Wow! Tons of veg cartoons from various comics and links to more, a section for Pittsburgh Vegetarians, well thought-out essays on why honey is not vegan and the old "How can you eat plants?" routine, and more.
- The Vegan Shopping Mall -links to vegan & vegetarian friendly cyber stores.
- Vegetarian & Animal Rights Pages -Includes articles, essays, links, and even some poetry on vegetarianism, animal rights, and environmentalism.
- Vegetarian Pages -A huge amount of veggie information.
- Vegetarian Resource Center -"The collections of the Vegetarian Resource Center include various informational materials in the areas of
vegetarian diet and lifestyle, including history of the vegetarian movement's policies and politics, personalities, and expressions, from the Ancients in the civilized world through the present." Whew. Also, there are soooo many links here.
- Vegetarian Resource Group -Newsletter, travel info, nutrition, recipes, etc.
- Vegetarian Society of the District of Columbia -Washington DC area (including Virginia and Maryland) events, dining and groceries guide.
- The Vegetarian Society of the United Kingdom -This site is fantastic for people all over the world! Great stuff including articles for the new veggie, youth pages, huge section of health and nutrition, informative factsheets, and the cordon vert cookery school.
- Vegetarian Times Magazine -This monthly magazine is very informative, and has been around for many years.
- Vegetarian Youth Network -Informal organization run entirely by, and for, teenagers who support veggie living. Committed to providing support and encouragement to vegetarian youth through programs that emphasize communication (mail, phone, e-mail).
- Veggie Heaven -230+ vegetarian & vegan recipes, also nutritional guide.
- Veggie Life -A veggie magazine.
- Veggies Unite! -2700 vegan recipes, nutrition, grocery list maker, and lots more.
- VegSource.org -Experts, educators, doctors, & authors, discussion board, online mag, news, 5,000+ recipes, tons of stuff!
- The VivaVegie Society, Inc. -Organization educating people on the streets!
- Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society -The world's most active charity dedicated to the
conservation and welfare of all whales, dolphins and porpoises.
- World Animal Net -A network of animal protection societies. The directory lists over 6,000 organizations, and links to over 1,200! Also has info on their 3 campaigns: cosmetics, battery hens, and anti-fur.
- World Environmental Organization -Focused on recycling and conservation. Browse through the recycling database- you will find uses for all sorts of old stuff, from bags to wine bottles. Submit your own ideas! Or stop junk mail by filling out a quick online form. They also have a newsletter and live chat.
- World Guide To Vegetarianism -Massive listing of vegetarian and vegetarian-friendly restaurants, stores, organizations, services, speakers, etc. around the world.
- WWF Global Network- panda.org -(World Wildlife Federation) description to come...
- #vegan Homepage -Page put together by people who chat on #vegan on IRCNet. Go to the 'organizations' section for addresses of vegan places around the world.
(c) 1996 email@example.com